Welcome to Colorado Academy, an independent Pre-K – 12 college preparatory day school with an exceptional campus community. At CA, dedicated teachers turn ideals into action—challenging students to become lifelong learners, thinkers, and contributors to our local, national, and international communities.
Founded in 1906, CA occupies a beautiful 94-acre campus with wooded walkways, running trails, green quadrangles, multiple playgrounds, athletic fields, and Woody’s Pond, which invites young scientists to learn in nature’s classroom.
Colorado Academy offers a dynamic liberal arts and sciences program designed to develop the whole person for college and for life. The CA educational experience is distinguished by:
- Innovative curricula that inspire critical thinking and creativity for success in the 21st century
- Talented teachers who instill motivation and self-discipline
- Character education based on the practice of courage and kindness
- Athletics and arts that promote teamwork and initiative
- Experiential learning, outdoor trips, and global travel which develop leadership and resilience
- Friendships that last a lifetime
What makes Colorado Academy different?
Students from 73 zip codes across the Denver metropolitan area attend Colorado Academy. Families from all backgrounds, cultures, faiths, and resources feel at home at CA.
Painting, digital photography, filmmaking, sculpting, dance, private music lessons, instrumental ensembles, jazz/rock combos, choir, specialized vocal groups, dramatic productions—these are just some of the ways CA’s Visual and Performing Arts program gives students the opportunity to discover and cultivate their creative interests.
CA offers some of the finest coaches and most competitive interscholastic teams in Colorado 3A, 4A, and 5A competition.
Embedded in the school’s ethos since it was founded is a commitment to teaching leadership, service, confidence, tenacity and resilience. Today, CA’s signature Outdoor Education Program, Travel and Exchange options, sister school programs in Scotland, Argentina, Haiti and Rwanda and annual interim adventures are reminders of the school’s legacy.
Additional signature programs include:
- REDI Lab which asks select juniors to independently design innovative research and learning projects
- Student grant-making and philanthropy program
- Peer leadership opportunities through multiple “buddy” programs, and extended service learning involvement
- Dedicated college counseling resources,
- Innovation Laboratory, a two-story, 1,300 square foot space where students turn designs and inventions into reality, as well as innovation labs and workshops for students in all divisions
- Extensive parent education options
- Dozens of time-honored school traditions.
Families who choose Colorado Academy are making a statement about the importance of education in their lives.
Colorado Academy Fast Facts
Lower School, Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 5
Middle School, Grades 6-8
Upper School, Grades 9-12
- Students: CA students are highly motivated, perform at above average to exceptional ability, and seek academic challenge and community engagement.
- Graduates: 100 percent of our graduates attend four-year colleges and universities.
- Ratio: Pupil/Teacher ratio is 9:1. Average class size is 16. Maximum class size is 21.
- Faculty: Our teachers have an average of 17 years of classroom experience (with 10 years at CA) and 70 percent hold advanced degrees.
- Facilities: Each division has a dedicated school building with classrooms, common areas, and science and computer labs, and is guided by a division principal. Students share two on-campus libraries, art and music facilities, a theater, a campus center and dining hall, and an athletic center.
- Transportation: Ten school bus routes serve the Denver metro area.
- Extras: Before- and after-school care/activities and summer programs are available.